Tuesday, December 7, 2010

the life of this foodie blog hangs by a thread

One of my stylist friends responded to my post-binge plea/tweet of assistance on dieting with the following:

@BernardNio @sheenalogy Tapos food blog ginagawa mo? Tsk tsk tsk...
 And this really called my attention because.... Oo nga noh?


Thus started my crusade for a rigorous diet/fitness program.

but this goes largely in conflict with my food blog. oh, just when found the right direction! 
pano na yung mga naka-pending kong pictures to be uploaded, restaurants scheduled to venture to (yep, my foodie boss and I even marked my calendar for our foodie sched)? 

I thought I should stop writing about food altogether.  


I need to do this for the following reasons:

1. I have what's called as PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which not only makes me metabolically imbalanced almost all the time but also puts me in cancer risk. Simply put, I'D BE OVERWEIGHT IF I DONT CONTROL MYSELF, and its not just cause I eat too much. My OBGYN actually told me I have to really take Metformin to lower my blood sugar levels and to take Oral Contraceptive Pills because they help regulate my periods, but I refused. That means I have to control this through exercise and diet. Yep, this gym/diet program is not for vanity's sake, its for my over-all health. 

2. There's a big, big project I have to do in January. Well, this isn't really for me, but this is for one of my best friends. ;) And there isn't any excuse for this. this is for PROFESSIONAL REASONS. yeah, well. Renee Zellweger did it, Lea Michelle did it, Natalie Portman does it for work. haha.

3. I have a wedding to attend!


4. Aren't those reasons enough?










































but I will soooo miss writing. And how am I supposed to survive those holiday-bingefests?


How does Padma Lakshimi eat those plates upon plates of dishes in Top Chef and look and still remain as thin as a Victoria's Secret model?!


 Then there's Giada de Laurentiis. How can it be that cooking Italian food every single effin day looks as if it doesn't add pounds to that frail frame? Her head even looks too big for that really thin body! SO. UN. FAIR.


(Nevermind Rachel Ray and Martha Stewart, though)


So I thought of a way to go about the food-tasting and stuff: 

Limit myself to just 3 BITES of each dish. yes, 3 BITES. That should be enough to judge the taste/quality of the food, right? first bite, first impressions, second bite, what happens when I taste more. Third bite to satiate me. This plan is based on the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility, something I learned out of high school Economics class:


This is the premise on which buffet-style restaurants operate. They entice you with "all you can eat," all the while knowing each additional plate of food provides less utility than the one before. And despite their enticement, most people will eat only until the utility they derive from additional food is slightly lower than the original.

For example, say you go to a buffet and the first plate of food you eat is very good. On a scale of ten you would give it a ten. Now your hunger has been somewhat tamed, but you get another full plate of food. Since you're not as hungry, your enjoyment rates at a seven at best. Most people would stop before their utility drops even more, but say you go back to eat a third full plate of food and your utility drops even more to a three. If you kept eating, you would eventually reach a point at which your eating makes you sick, providing dissatisfaction, or 'dis-utility'.

Yep. 3 bites.

So.


This foodie blog will still roll. :)

1 comment: