Sunday, April 17, 2011

Definitive moment

i had an out-of-the-body experience last night, sans the out-of-bodyness of it all: it was a strange, multi-aspect diorama of what my life consisted of.

it had been a stressful past couple of weeks. yesterday began with a meeting with the Nielsen execs and the TV5 MarcComm and Research heads, then rolled on to more supplier calls and more brand demands. Lunch was Mcdo fries and chocolates, snack were 2 cups of strong freshly brewed coffee.

upon going to Ortigas to meet Ivan and Nikos, i decided to indulge on dark chocolate almonds, a preference of my foodie and social media god boss; at P180, it was a treat that deserved because of the stress i've been through the whole week. i deemed my almonds the precursor of a good weekend.

alas, my almonds failed me. I felt like i was hovering over myself the whole time--the cab ride to Ortigas was miserable--i was too shaky, too nauseated, too sad and tired. i was photosensitive and my head felt like it wasn't connected to my body. At Chilis, my stomach hurt too much. i felt like i was hyperglycemic with all the chocolate i had throughout the day. i even asked nikos to google "hyperglycemic symptoms" but it actually felt like hypoglycemia to me-- i was cold, shaky, fainty.

Murphy's Law was at it's most potent when the events turned dramatic from merely miserable--I then had an encounter with a person I've tried to avoid for the longest time. The circumstance was almost comic and i recoil when i consider its believability--it was as if i was in a really bad rom-com. I was stressed and behind deadlines, broke as a pauper, sick enough to die, an old flame and his current within the periphery--coupled with out-of-reach parents and siblings.

My most loved friends beat several stop lights and committed a host of traffic violations to get me to Medical City within record time--5 minutes from Greenhills to Ortigas, considering friday-payday traffic at around 8pm. I was in luck when a good friend took care of me and inserted me an IV line. I told him it was my first time to be hospitalized. Then came another angel, this time giving me all the instructions that I needed, even taking my VS and CBG for me. I had the best possible nursing care thanks to my friends Earvin and Laarni, who made sure that I was receiving proper attention and care. Then, I was told by the doctors that I probably had peptic ulcer. An uncle, a very close family friend, came as soon as we called, tended to me while my parents were in transit.

It was one of the extremely awful nights of my life but the whole time that I was in pain, I felt incredibly loved. Definitely not alone, definitely not panicking that I had no one beside me. In fact, during that 4 hour ordeal, I knew that I was exactly where I was meant to be, and I know I was with the people who matter most in my life.

I now know what matters most, and who could take care of me best. And I am incredibly blessed to have the most important people in my life with me during a very critical moment. Cheers to friendship, love, ordeals, pain and recovery. :)

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're ok. Hope you recover soon! Praying for you! God bless...

    ReplyDelete