Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Comfort food

Cheese pasta
I'm not a chef nor a foodie and I'm a newbie cook, but I try to cook whatever (kahit pritong itlog or hotdog!) whenever strong emotions take hold of me. I find the repetitive strokes performed when cooking (stirring, flipping stuff, kneading, etc) extremely comforting. To my dismay, I came home to an empty fridge, empty cupboard and empty pots and pans. Well, everyone at home's been busy, and people have been taking their meals outside.

But I simply had to make something. Anything that would take my mind off a lot of things.

Cheese Pasta

1/2 kilo spaghetti noodles
half a stick of butter
a big bar of Quickmelt cheese
an egg
chili powder
salt
1 tbsp olive oil

I cooked the noodles as per package instructions. I saved a cup of the noodle broth. In the same pot, I put in olive oil and stirred in the noodles. I let the butter melt in, and I stirred in the cheese. Then I put in the noodle broth. Then I stirred in the egg. I let the egg coat strands and strands of the noodles. I watched the strands thicken with cheese, broth, and egg. I seasoned it with chili powder and salt.

I served it to my family just in time for midnight snack.

It was superb. I read a recipe of this in Smitten Kitchen, but that one calls for parmesan, and I dont have that at home right now. But this was hearty, nonetheless.

I had a bowl. It was comforting.

I just hope it is enough to get me through this night. This time to give comfort to others :)

2 comments:

  1. I have yet to try cooking this. Better yet, cook that for us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. comfort food indeed! Can't wait to try that. Give me some please... hahaha...

    ReplyDelete