Thursday, November 11, 2010

what got me anaphylactic

well, almost.

i belong to a sub-minority of the world population: seafood allergics, and i am specifically allergic to crustaceans.

but today was the day that several house-help of ours came back from a long vacation--that alone is reason to celebrate, because, as previously mentioned, the turn-over of house-employees here is very, very fast.

they brought home LOBSTERS.

I simply had to take a bite. My dad insisted on cracking them lobsters open for me. I helped him and my fingers got pricked by antlers.

Lobster shells. ARGH. SO. @!$#%$ ITCHY. MY. HANDS ARE. COZ OF THESE THINGS.

And because I wanted to entertain myself (because lots of things have been happening and I needed to do something "creative"), I threw the lobsters in a pan, sauteed it with minced garlic, spanish paprika, chili flakes and butter.

I had three tiny pieces. oh. that creamy, buttery, fiery-spicy goodness.

that does not look appetizing at all, but believe me, it was HEAVEN. at least for someone who doesn't eat crustaceans often (well, I do, when my parents aren't around)
 
after which, my hands and face swelled. my torso was blotched with red marks. i was scratching my whole body. my tongue felt thick. my heart was racing, and i was starting to feel light-headed and hot. so i washed my hands and everything that had contact with lobster.

then coz she was really scared and really panicky, my mom reached into the freezer and fed me:
yes, a tub. and tons and tons and tons of water.
ah. my allergies have now subsided. well, hello, diabetes. nice to meet you! :P

i therefore recommend the following:
  • I am no chef, but say yes to this little something i whipped in a whirl: lobster+garlic+butter/olive oil+spanish paprika+chili flakes= Langosta al ajillo. I was craving for gambas al ajillo but since what we had in the kitchen was lobster......well, kinda like gambas, but gambas is "prawns" in spanish. "langosta" is lobster. :) 
  • Say yes to eating anything you're allergic to, complain to your mom/husband/wife/bf/gf that you're short of breath, then tell them you need something sweet (how cruel, how manipulative!); chances are they'd give you tons of yummy sweet stuff. (not that I asked for THE TUB, but Mom insisted).
  • Second bullet's a joke :) Stay away from your known allergens!! Carry with you your prescribed antihistamines/epinephrine pen shots at all times.
  • Sweets aren't an antidote for allergies. I don't know what the hell happened but I was ok after the ice cream and the water. Or, maybe tonight, its the H2O, but i'm not sure. It has always been like that: mom feeds me with spoonfuls of sugar/candies whenever I accidentally ingest things I'm allergic to.

i'm currently down to 1/4 of the ice cream. hey, I'm not complaining. I am just. so. umay.

2 comments:

  1. i am pretty sure it's cuz ur allergy is rather mild my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about sharing the ice cream. Never mind the lobster. :-P

    ReplyDelete